Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B
The ultra-portable Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B laptop computer weighs just an amazing 2.76 pounds and offers a sleek, durable carbon-fiber case. And with 4 to 7.5 hours of standard battery life , it has the stamina to power you through your most demanding applications. With the integrated wireless WAN, you can access the Cingular Wireless national EDGE network to extend your wireless coverage beyond LAN access networks and hotspots, giving you the freedom to go farther, do more, and stay connected. It comes preloaded with a suite of Sony multimedia software, enabling you to create, manage and view your multimedia files with ease. Use Sony's Click to DVD software to easily create high-quality customized DVDs with the DVD+R Double Layer drive, while Sony's SonicStage software makes managing your music files and making your own audio CDs a cinch. It also has an 11.1-inch widescreen LCD with XBRITE technology, 1.3 GHz ultra-low voltage Pentium M 773 processor, 80 GB hard drive, 1 GB of installed RAM (1.5 GB maximum), Bluetooth wireless capability (for connecting to peripherals such as PDAs, cell phones, and printers), a multi-format memory card reader, and Microsoft Windows XP Professional edition operating system.
The Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B Basics
- Hard Drive: The 80 GB hard drive (4200 RPM) is average in size for laptop PCs--but a bit larger than you'll find in comparable ultra-light laptops. It offers more than enough capacity for storing documents and productivity software for road warriors. You'll also be able to store a good-sized digital audio library.
- Processor: The Intel Pentium M Processor Ultra Low Voltage 773 (1.30 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 400 MHz FSB) delivers outstanding mobile performance and low-power enhancements for sleeker, lighter laptop designs. The 1.3 GHz clock speed can be misleading--for most tasks, this processor will be faster than a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4-M. It sits at the top of the spectrum for this processor class (as of May 2006).
- Memory: The Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B has two memory slots and comes loaded with 1 GB of DDR SDRAM (PC3200, 400 MHz DDR RAM; 2 x 512 MB), and it can be expanded to a maximum of 1.5 GB.
- CD/DVD Drive: Offering the latest in DVD writing technology, the multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It offers the following write speeds: 2.4x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD+R, 2.4x DVD+RW, 4x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RW, 24x CD-R, 10x CD-RW.
- Keyboard & Mouse: Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B has a standard 82-key keyboard (1.7mm stroke and 17mm pitch) and electro-static two-button touchpad as well as a wireless LAN on/off button.
Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B Screen, Graphics and Sound
The 11.1-inch XBRITE LCD has a resolution of 1368 x 768 pixels--perfect for watching movies in their intended 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. Sony's Smart Display Sensor feature instantly adjusts resolution when you connect to a display or projector. Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900, which uses Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) and provides up to 128 MB of shared video memory. The integrated audio card provides 16-bit stereo sound via the built-in stereo speakers.
Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B Connectivity and Expansion Slots
The Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B features Sony's SmartWi technology, which seamlessly integrates wireless Wide Area Network (WAN), 802.11b/g wireless LAN and Bluetooth technologies, enabling you to toggle among your wireless connectivity options depending on your surroundings. With the Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones. You get a good offering of connectivity options, including both USB 2.0 and iLink (Firewire):
- 2 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- 1 VGA monitor port
- 1 PCMCIA (or PC Card) slot (Type I/II, 32-bit)
- 1 headphone jack
- 1 microphone jack
- Port replicator connector
- Memory card slot, compatible with Memory Stick and Memory Stick DUO media with MagicGate functionality and Secure Digital Media (SD)
Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B also has an integrated 56K modem (V.90) and an RJ-45 LAN network port (for a 10/100 Ethernet connection to networks and DSL/cable modems). The optional Port Replicator unit also includes 3 additional USB 2.0, VGA, RJ-45, and parallel ports.
Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B Preloaded System and Software
The Vaio VGN-TX770P/B laptop computer comes with the Windows XP Professional Edition (which adds Microsoft's IIS Web server, back-up and recovery utilities, Remote Desktop, and other enhanced business features) with Service Pack 2 featuring Advanced Security Technologies, which helps to reduce unwanted downloads and pop-ups while surfing the Web. It also comes loaded with a bevy of Sony multimedia software: Click to DVD (DVD creation), SonicStage (digital music), Vaio Media (network file sharing), DVgate Plus (digital video), and Image Converter (for PSP transfer). Other preloaded software includes Quicken 2006 New User Edition, Microsoft Works 8.5 (with word processing, spreadsheet, and calendar), Norton Internet Security (with 60-day subscription), Roxio DigitalMedia SE, InterMedia WinDVD, and TrendMicro Anti-Spyware (30-day trial).
Dimensions and Weight
The Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P/B weighs 2.76 pounds with standard battery and measures 10.7 x 1.12 x 7.7 inches (WxHxD).
Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B Power
The Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P/B powered by the VGP-BPS5 lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which produces a battery life of between 4 and 7.5 hours.
Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B Wireless Wide Area Network (WWAN)
If you're the ultimate road warrior, you need to access the Internet and check e-mail without having to plug in your Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P/B, and without cables to boot. Welcome to the world of WWANs (wireless wide area networks). With WWANs, you can access critical network resources and home office files from the front seat of your car, the airport, the local coffee shop, or your recliner at home. Sony Vaio computers use SmartWi technology to access the Cingular Wireless national EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution) network.
A WWAN uses long-range wireless connections -- the same networks as cellular phones -- to provide access across a large geographic area. In comparison, a WLAN (wireless LAN) covers only one or more buildings located close together.
What's in the Box
This package contains the Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P/B laptop computer, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, Cingular Wireless SIM card, and operating instructions. It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.
Buy Sony Vaio VGN-TX770P/B at Amazon.com